• George Bush Jr claimed our high energy prices were due to not having a national energy policy and tried to blame that on Clinton.
• But it was Jimmy Carter, with his 1977 speech, who established America’s first national energy policy, leading to the strategic petroleum reserve, the modern solar power industry, and the insulation of millions of homes.
• The nation was still recovering from the Arab oil embargo years earlier. Carter realized that without developing other sources of energy, the only way to maintain our lifestyle was to rape the planet and seize control of oil-rich nations in the Middle East.
• Around the same time, the Bin Laden family was bailing out George Bush Jr’s failing oil business.
• Reagan made a deal to sell missiles and other weapons to the mullahs of Iran if they would hold the American hostages until after the 1980 election.
• One of Reagan’s first acts was to tear down the solar panels on the White House and reverse Carter’s policy of energy independence.
With the exception of preventing war, this is the greatest challenge our country will face during our lifetimes.
– Jimmy Carter, 1977